Hey, everyone! It’s been a while, so I thought I better give you an update.
It’s been a busy year so far. Between editing work, publishing assistance, and professional development, I haven’t had a lot of blogging time. But there are benefits to being busy. The obvious one is money (I’m about $200 ahead of where I was this time last year), but I’ve also been challenged in new ways and have learned a lot as a result.
In the past three months, I have:
- copy edited two novels, a picture book, and a short fiction anthology
- proofread another novel
- created a number of promotional images for upcoming book releases
- helped a small press with website updates and daily administration
- written weekly posts for the same small press
- written four book news posts for a comics and books site
- completed ten of twelve weeks of my final Ryerson course (the Business of Publishing)
- completed webinars on developmental editing, time management, using bad English, and editing comics
- hosted three Editor’s Ottawa speaker nights
- applied for a couple of editing jobs and internships
- gathered all my invoices and expenses to complete my taxes
- read a bunch of books
And all this in addition to all the emails, computer updates, and record keeping that makes everything run around here.
In light of being busier, I’m putting some thought into how I want to continue operating. I started this business to do something I love—help people tell stories—but it was a big leap at the time. I didn’t have a business plan, I just had passion and training.
It’s been great and I want it to continue being great, but I might change how I do a few things. I’ll still be offering the same services, so no worries there, but if there’s more you want to see from me, now would be a great time to let me know!